95% of the reason you would get a smartphone in the first place is surely the wondrous world of smartphone apps that come with it. In 2014, the internet is most likely preceding any other means of information exchange so most of the time, we’ll find ourselves even forgetting that our mobile devices are in fact also phones.
With Black Friday right behind us and winter holidays right around the corner, odds are you might find yourself in the possession of a new smartphone soon. Even if you don’t, there is no reason not to refresh your mobile experience with some applications that you might have not tried before.
So, with this occasion, we have compiled a list of 10 must-have smartphone apps for both Android and iOS users.
- Facebook Messenger – for both platforms, the separate Facebook chat app has rocked the communication application charts this year, hand-in-hand with WhatsApp. The application uses less resources than the full Facebook App, allowing fans to stay in touch with their friends in a small, fast application that allows you to quickly swap to the core Facebook app in no time.
- Instagram – the most popular choice for light photo editing and sharing, Instagram is the easy to go to option for some image tweaking and sharing memories or moments with your friends.
- Youtube – one of the most heavily populated places on the internet, transposed into a mobile app for your pleasure. Watch any videos on the go, up to 1080p quality.
- Shazam – forget about all those times when you heard a song you really loved and couldn’t find out who was singing it. Shazam’s audio pattern recognition is getting improved every day and its broad spectrum of songs in its database will cover most of your curiosities.
- Mailbox – light application that will help you sort through your mailbox of multiple accounts.
- Google translate – always be ready when you travel to foreign countries. A translated sign could make the difference between getting to your destination or being lost for ages!
- Google Maps – while we’re on the travelling subject, this application is still the most reliable no matter where you go. The in-built GPS tool is accurate and comes for free.
- Soundcloud – independent tracks and podcasts, Soundcloud’s got them all.
- Spotify – a neutral zone for Android and iOS users alike where they can easily get their on-demand music.
- VLC Media Player Streaming Pro – one of the most stable video players on PC also comes in mobile shape so you can play all your movies and shows, regardless of format.