Todd Fassler, found out that taking a selfie with rattlesnake means incredibly huge hospital bills. This was an incredible disastrous month for the man. Fassler’s pet rattlesnake bit him while he was trying to take a selfie with it. And if this wasn’t enough for the poor man, he went through another absolutely terrible experience inside the hospital. Because of the degree of the snakebite, which almost killed the man, he was given a gigantic $153,000 hospital bill.
Everyone was simply shocked to find out about the situation the man is in, by both the very strange surroundings of his snake selfie and the huge medical bill that Fessler now has to find a way to pay for.
For starters, it was an incredibly stupid idea to take a rattlesnake that he said he found in the bushes, especially given the fact that Fessler was not really an expert in snakes and those rattlesnakes are very well known for their qualities that render them absolutely terrible pets.
Secondly, it looks like the man managed to get bitten so hard that he needed an enormous amount of anti-venom. In fact, he needed so much anti-venom that two hospitals completely ran out of the serum. But if you think that completely depleting two hospitals of the precious medicine is what lead to Fessler’s gigantic hospital bill, then you are wrong.
It seems that the market of anti-venom is oriented on only one company, which means that said company has the power to make the price as steep as it pleases. Because there is no competition, the company can make a single vial of the precious anti-venom cost as much as $5000. And given the fact that a typical dose needs at least 12 of those vials, it amounts to an incredibly pricey medical bill for any victims of snakebites out there.
Consequently, all this publicity about the Fessler case should not be taken likely and the public must be made aware of the situation with the anti-venom market. This would be very useful, in order for practical solutions to be found for this awful problem and be put in place as soon as possible. There should be something done about the whole situation in order for people with similar snakebites not be subjected to the same traumatic experience of steep hospital bills on top of the more obvious traumatic experience of a snake bite.
Image Source: cdn.wideopenspaces.com