After the family of the Ebola patient living in Dallas was quarantined due to fears that they too could have contracted the infection, authorities decided to move them to a secure location. Hazmat teams arrived and began decontaminating their home.
Health officials told reporters that 10 people living in the area were considered “high risk” after they came in contact with patient zero. Forty more patients are also being monitored by health officials, should symptoms arise.
The hazmat team took over the decontamination and collected every item that Thomas Duncan had worn or came in contact with before being hospitalized. Those who were in direct contact with Duncan, (Louise Troh, Timothy Wayne, Oliver Smallwood and Jeffrey Cole) were all legally mandated to remain inside the apartment. Authorities then found a suitable place for them to be moved, a property that was donated by a friend of Dallas’ mayor.
“The family is in good spirits and they are being closely monitored. Our ultimate aim is to move those people out of this apartment but we don’t know when.”
De los Dantos Dallas County Fire Marshall told reporters.
Hazmat teams placed black garbage bags in front of the apartment of the Ebola victim, so as to ensure that no particles escape from inside, while all materials which were collected inside are being brought to a secure location until federal agencies designate a permanent hazardous material waste location.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has assured the public that, while the agency was being extremely cautious, there was really no reason for the public to become alarmed about a possible outbreak.
“I think it’s important to remember and recognize that we are not suggesting we have a great deal of concern about all these people because the reality is we have a low level of concern about the vast majority of the people we are following.”
Dr. Beth Bell, from the CDC, said.
Meanwhile, another hospital reported that they were testing a patient for Ebola after he presented with symptoms. The Washington D.C. hospital explained that this patient had traveled to Nigeria and was being isolated until testing is completed.
The CDC has come under fire since news of the first Ebola patient in the United States appeared.
“We have our staff working with the local authorities, we understand bleach has been used and we expect that [the cleaning of the apartment] to be resolved today.”
Dr. Frieden, CDC Director, said.